Saturday, March 22, 2014

Blow Fly

I always seem to learn something new every time I go on a search. Today I got a lesson in entymology and forensics. We have recently been receiving a lot of call-outs for our HRD (Human Remains Detection) aka cadaver teams. I have been able to tag along as a flanker and this has given me a great opportunity to learn first hand from the various handlers. Today I was able to flank one of our lead trainers and senior handlers and I picked up even more of a realization that I have a lot left to learn.


Since the last search I have been working hard on being able to identify different animal "scat" (poop), prints, and learn basic wilderness skills (like avoiding pit vipers). I am trying to learn the behaviors of the different dogs on our team and their handlers. I am studying for my ham radio certification test. With all of these things on my mind it is a wonder I can walk through the woods without tripping over myself. Oh wait. I can't.

It seems simple enough. Follow the handler. Use the radio occasionally to call Incident Command. Help navigate the zone you are assigned to search. Walk. But the last one seemed to really get me today. I felt I spent more time tripping over logs, getting snared by thorny vines, and navigating like a drunk and bumbling fool than I did actually being of any use to my handler. She and the dog seemed to always get ahead of me and I got delayed trying to figure out how they got through the briers. At one point I almost walked on top of a curled up water moccasin and would have likely gotten nailed by it if my handler wasn't keen in her observational skills (you know the ones I was supposed to be using to keep her safe).

Even with my clumsiness I learned a lot. I learned that my camelback sucks as it kept getting snagged on every branch I walked through. I learned to check all my gear before taking off, as the nozzle on the tube to my camelback was apparently broken and most of my water poured out on me when I was trying to stand back up after falling down. I learned to carry a pen (two actually - as I lost one) and a notebook to record our search information rather than scrap paper. I learned I should not forget my watch at home. I got a reprimand for not calling in to Incident Command on a regular basis (or at the start and end of our search). I learned to stay in our designated area and not wander into someone else's. Navigation is important. I learned that the families of those missing really do appreciate what we do. But the most interesting thing I learned during today's search was...

Blowflies!

We spotted two blowflies in a secluded part of the woods we were searching as we stopped for a water break. My handler pointed them out and expressed that they were a good sign as often they were found when remains were near, as they laid their eggs on the carcasses of the deceased and were responsible for maggots (you can thank me for not attaching a picture). It was a sign that something dead lay near. A minute detail that I would never have picked up on without the education from a more experienced searcher.


So with this new information, my interest was peaked and I looked up some information:

The insects of greatest value to forensic entomology are blowflies (family Calliphoridae), because they are usually the first insects to colonise a body after death, often within hours. Because of this, the age of the oldest blowflies gives the most accurate evidence of the PMI (post-mortem interval/minimum time since death). Many other species of fly, beetle, wasp and moth are also associated with cadavers, resulting in a succession of insects arriving at the body, but as they tend to arrive after the blowflies, they are less useful in establishing a PMI.
Blowfly infestations of human bodies are a natural outcome of the flies’ role in the environment as primary decomposers. The ubiquity of fly larvae on carrion is clear to anyone who comes across the dead body of a hedgehog or rabbit while walking in the country. The larval infestations might look gruesome, but they are a vital component of the natural recycling of organic matter and, on human bodies, they can provide vital clues to the timing and cause of death.
Overall, today I felt humbled. I have a ton to learn, but luckily I have a very patient team who are willing to teach me. With each search I pick up new things. At this rate I figure in a few years I'll have it down pat!

Now if I can just stay on my feet....

No comments:

Post a Comment