Friday, January 3, 2014

One Week Till Puppy!


"Puppy testing" took place today on a litter of 6 black lab puppies age 6 weeks. The traits that we look for in search and rescue dogs are varied. We look for a dog that is neither overly dominant or submissive, is curious about its environment, is social, is not fearful of loud noises, shows interest in possessing a toy, and has high "drive" (not the same thing as high energy). Of course even with testing there are no guarantees of getting the perfect SAR dog, but the more areas they tend to shine in the better. I came equipped with my ace in the pocket ~ my lead trainer with years of experience and a no fail record in choosing dogs. Two stood out after our initial testing ~ the lone female and a chunky little male. Both seem to show promise so it will likely be a matter of who steals my heart over the next week, although we will do a final round of testing before the decision is made. I also got to meet the dam and sire and was pleased with their temperament, athleticism, and appearance. The sire is a hunting dog and showed an extreme love of water. Mama dog was loaded down with milk so I didn't get to see much of her in action, although she did seem to ferret out a critter in a leaf pile with her nose. A good sign!

My nesting has begun and I am getting prepared and excited!! Pup comes home at 7 weeks and training begins at 8 weeks!



No comments:

Post a Comment